Tuesday, January 3, 2012

French Farmhouse Table Deux.....For The Beach

I've done something daring today....after all it's a new year, right?

I decided to basically take down my website at Shabbyfufu for the time being for a revamp! I need a little break.....just not sure how little, how long or exactly where I'm going...but I'm thinking and planning. For now I am still taking orders (and have a few to work on) and will keep my small and abbreviated Etsy shop open. You can always reach me through the Contact page on the website....that content is still there.

What does that have to do with the photos below? Nothing actually....the photos are of the latest French Farmhouse table that we built in a day's time...whew! I'm not going to print out a whole lot of instructions on the build part of this, but I think you can get the idea if so interested. 

A few notes.....

I finished it to LOOK LIKE DRIFTWOOD and used MILK PAINT & WAX.

We purchased the legs and the wood (2 x 8) planks of Southern yellow pine at Lowes. 

The table cost us about $100 (more or less) to make.

My husband is very handy with power tools and won't let me near them...but my talent lies in design and finishing.

We built this table in the garage of our home and then had to disassemble it, transport it and reassemble it...as it was for our beach home a few hours away.

THE MAKING
As I said, I always do the finishing. I wanted the look of aged driftwood and a learning curve was involved....so I practice several methods on some leftover scraps first. 

The base was simply sprayed with a white primer, and then given 2 coats of an oil based house wood trim paint. I know, not very eco friendly....but being right on the beach everything that we have takes quite a beating and needs protection from the elements!

We agreed that we wanted the knots and natural grains to show through, so painting the top white was not an option. 

For the TOP...
First sanded by hand with the grain. Then I used Milk Paint...which I do have quite a bit of experience with over the years. My favorite is from The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company....you can learn about them HERE. I am not being compensated, just so you know. I made a mix of about 25% milk paint in White and 75% water. Normally you wouldn't want it so thin, but as I said I didn't want to completely cover the grain. One coat seemed a bit too thin, so I gave it another. It dries quickly and is eco friendly and all of that.

Next came darkening down a bit with Briwax. I LOVE Briwax and have used it for years and years. Click HERE if you want to learn more about it...and no, I'm not being compensated by them either! I used their Original Wax product in a Dark Brown stain first...one coat. I use old soft t shirts to apply the wax and fresh ones to buff down.....and buffed this quite a bit to give the stain a soft glow. I then gave it two coats of Clear Briwax in the same fashion....of course allowing sufficient dry time inbetween all coats of wax. Thats it, DONE...in a day!

THE FINISHING

THE REASSEMBLING
 Now I can't wait for the new chairs to arrive from Restoration Hardware...I'll show you the whole look in another post down the line.......


Linking HERE to Miss Mustard Seed today:

9 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Janet...the table is just beautiful! You and your husband did a wonderful job. I can't wait to see the chairs!

I love the new look of your blog...it will be interesting to see the direction you are taking!

Happy New Year!

XO,
Jane

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Janet,

You have a husband with golden hands and you yourself as well! Great vision and knowing how to.
The end result is great.
Have a healthy and happy 2012 and enjoy what you're doing.
Love to you,

Mariette

Queen Of Dreamsz Art and Collections said...

Janet, the table turned really nice. Power tools and a man that can use them is a wonderful thing. :0)

I know whatever you come up with at your website will be beautiful.

Hugs,
Steph ♥

C'est Moi, Julie Marie said...

Hi Janet... your new header is so pretty, I am excited to see your website re~open... as always, I love what you are doing... alot of the things I am seeing in blogland all look alike, but yours are always your own... you are enticing me with the lovely whites and neutrals... xoxo Julie Marie

Bring Pretty Back said...

Janey, Good for you - do what you need to do! Take some time for yourself. I get it...
The table is gorgeous!!!
What a great project to work on with your hubby!
Live Pretty!
Kristin

NeereAnDear said...

Happy New Year Janet ....

Really love your table ... I can see that a large amount of hard work went into its creation and its quite amazing !

Cant wait to see the finished product once the chairs arrive ...

Have a fabulous 2012 ... heres to new dreams

HUGS ~ JO

suitsandaprons said...

Beautiful! I love the look of the wood after all your hard work giving it that natural patina!

Heaven's Walk said...

I just LOVE your new farmhouse table, Janet! I want to take the top off my current kitchen table and make a planked top, so your photos will be a great help! Great job! :)

xoxo laurie

chris glynn said...

looked this diy up because we are in the rpocess of making a farm table and want a fab finish! will try this method fufu....xo tutts