Wednesday, October 20, 2010

French Decorating Books 101

Bonjour mes amis.

Oui, oui....I need to keep practicing my French, as in 2 weeks I'll be off to see Paris daughter (as she is affectionately becoming known lately:-). Isn't she a cutie....and is fitting in very nicely and enjoying her temporary job in Paris as well as the lifestyle.


I thought that today I would share a few of the favorite books in my collection that are dedicated to French decorating. You can certainly find most of these on Amazon.com and for a good deal if you look for used books.

This is a new book and je l'adore! From designer Carolyn Westbrook whose style I've loved for years. She features photos from her own home that showcases loads of white and her collections from her travels in France, as well as several other gorgeous maisons.





Another book to consider adding to your collection is from Claudia Strasser, who I had the pleasure of meeting briefly a couple of years ago. The Paris Apartment is all about "romantic decor on a flea market budget".


French Home by Josephine Ryan is chocked full of amazing vignettes and decor that truly captures the essence of French style from food to fixtures to flea market pieces.





The French Inspired Home by Kaari Meng (of the French General) shows the more rustic side of French decor and some projects that are easy to do for a bit of that French flair.





And lastly I have two books for your consideration that are both from designer Betty Lou Phillips which both bring you lavish photography and a peek into the more traditional side of French decor.







Some books that you definitely won't be able to find on Amazon are these three books that I found last year at one of the Paris flea markets and have so enjoyed that I don't know if I can bare to ever part with! They are bound leather complete collections of authentic late 1800's to early 1900's of La Mode Illustre, that are all about French fashion and life of that era in time. Fascinating!



I need to get back into my studio, so for today je vous dis adieu. Working on finishing up some ruffled totes and need to get my fufu cap on!



~xoxo~
Janet

P.S.....I would like to welcome my new sponsors (more on them later:-). If you have a moment, please go over and visit Trisha of A Vintage White and Roberta of Enchanted Treasures. The sponsor buttons are on my sidebar and I have a couple of spots still available......I would love to have you here!


8 comments:

  1. Hello Janet, all of your books are just beautiful, and I love your vintage Paris flea market find books too... those ruffly bags look wonderful, and your daughter looks so pretty in Paris... love to you... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is beautiful, it would be so fun living in Paris. hope you have a wonderful trip. hugs, good luck with the french.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lovely daughter looks like she fits right in! "Tres Chic" Thanks for the tips on th egorgeous books too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter is so pretty and is very stylish! Like Mom.

    I love decorating books and if they are french decor, then even better!

    Enjoy your trip to Paris.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter looks like she is having a ball. I hope you have a wonderful trip and visit with her.

    All of the books look fabulous...it's fun to dream!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet..I LOVE books..& yours look so gorgeous..& I love anything french! I was in Paris yrs ago..& still have wonderful memories.. you will have a great time with darling daughter..so beautiful..just like her mom!
    Hugs...
    Deb:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am afraid to start counting the decorating books I own..It is scary. Ihave a couple of these but a couple of them are new to me...sigh...Darn you anyway..Now I suppose I will have to drop everything to get to Barnes and Noble tomorrow;>) Love those ruffled totes~ Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janet,
    There are a couple books you've shown that I must add to my collection. Thank you for the heads up, so much to inspire us French lovers at heart!

    Your Paris daughter is a doll. So good she is doing well and enjoying her wonderful opportunity.
    xoxo~Tracie

    ReplyDelete