Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blissful Bird Basket Tutorial For Spring


Dear friends.....I thought that I would post this tutorial for you again, for those who may be new to reading my blog. I am a former art teacher and so it's always fun to have a chance to share tutorials and have them published. This is a piece that I wrote a couple of years ago as a contributor to ROMANTIC HOMES MAGAZINE. They are inexpensive to make and certainly easily adaptable to your own style.

If time permits I may make a few more for the WEBSITE with some new Bird images that I have.

SOON, I hope.......still busy packing and shipping, packing and shipping, packing and shipping around here.

Enjoy!

These Blissful Bird Baskets have been crafted from simple peat pots and make for a festive table accent when grouped together. Fill with candies and let your guests take them home as party favors. Wrap in cellophane and tie with pretty ribbons: they make sweet and inexpensive gifts for any occasion!



3” square peat pots

White primer spray or brush paint, or gesso medium

Pale acrylic craft paint

Decoupage glue and sealer

Hole punch

Bird images

Wired tinsel

Seam binding or lightweight pastel ribbon

Paper flowers

Paper shred to fill baskets

Hot glue


Instructions:

1. Begin by priming both the inside and outside of the peat pot with your choice of primer paint or white gesso. For our project we used white spray primer, but any primer will do. You can give your peat pot a second coat if desired with a pale toned acrylic paint. We chose a pale pink for our baskets.

2. Once the paint is dry, cut out two holes on opposite sides of your basket about ½” down with the hole puncher. These will be where you wrap your tinsel for the basket handles, so try and keep them evenly spaced.

3. Cut out a bird image to fit the front of your basket and adhere with decoupage glue. Be sure to press out any air bubbles with your fingers. Once dry, seal the image with the same clear glue. You may wish to give the image a second coat if necessary.

4. Hot glue paper flowers on both sides of the basket. We layered our flowers for dimension.

5. Cut an 8” piece of wired tinsel for the handle. Insert the tinsel from the outside of the basket to the inside and tie or wrap a knot on the inside to hold the handle in place. A dab of hot glue over the knot will keep the handle from pulling out.

6. Fashion bows with seam binding or other lightweight ribbon on the handle at the top. For a festive look feel free to embellish with small butterflies, buttons or other pieces from your craft stash.

7. Fill your basket with pretty paper shred and add your assortment of scrumptious candy treats.

Thank you to Gail McCormack for her images. Project for personal use only.

13 comments:

  1. These are just precious!! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I am going to buy some peat pots and come back!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty! Really, charming and would love great on an Easter table or spring table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! I wish I had seen them in the original Romantic Homes magazine. I love that one!

    I'm working hard on my little Easter baskets for Miss Rhea's swap. That will be my first swap. Very excited and nervous. Are you participating?

    Thank you also for stopping by. I love the idea of writing...but have to admit that since kids, I barely remember to write thank yous. How sad!

    Sincerely,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Janet, those are just the cutest little things ever! I am going to try to make one for me, my sister and my nieces for Easter... thanks for showing us how! I hope mine turn out! xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Janet,

    How clever and just cute as can be! Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for dropping by for a visit....always happy to hear from you! :0)

    ♥ Love & Faerie Dust ♥
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet, I love these little baskets, how sweet. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janet,
    I think I am going to try to make some of these adorable pot baskets and create an Easter dinner centerpiece. I just love them.

    Thanks for the how to.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet they are darling!! What a clever and creative idea .....

    I can picture little kiddies sitting at the dining room table with their "grammy" making these little baskets for their family Easter dinner centerpiece ... and perhaps a few for their classmates as well ..the possibilities for them are endless...

    Hard to believe that spring is finally on its way after all the snow we have had of late... what better way to look forward to it than these little baskets ...!!

    Thanks for sharing

    HUGS
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing your directions and techniques - these are charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet,
    What a great tutorial.
    Thank you, now if only I know what a Peat Pot was or where to get them from. Ah, Maybe I'll make do with something else.
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so beautiful Janet!! You always have the best tutorials. thank you so much for sharing them all with us!!
    Happy Spring sweet friend!
    xoxo
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute and reminded me of some I made years ago using a Martha Stewart idea. Will have to dig it out (see if I can find them).
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. so adorable, janet. thank you for sharing. i was just admiring one of your tutorials in RH over breakfast. little cups covered in crepe paper.

    boy did i have fun today. i went to anthropologie and can't thank you enough for the generous prize!

    xo
    elyse

    ReplyDelete