Sunday, November 8, 2009

Oooh La La And Pink Pine Cones Tutorial

Good day ladies, I hope that you are enjoying your weekend! It's Sunday morning here and life goes on as usual in the Fufu household. Mr. Fufu (as he is affectionately known on my blog:-) and I went out for an breakfast and then to the grocery to stock up for the week. Life is not always so glamorous around here, you know.....there are the usual things that need to be done by someone! Today I do hope to get into my Studio to work on a few more projects for the SHOPPE, since much has sold and there have been some requests.

Had you heard about Fifi's "Oh La La" contest? You all know the fabulous Fifi of the Chez Fifi blog and Romantic Country Magazine....who else! She invited everyone to participate and redo a piece of furniture and since she emailed me about it I couldn't say non, only oui! I had this bed that is not my style at all, but since we all need a bed and it was a freebie, it was gladly accepted. We received it after a hurricane got into our home some years back and destroyed pretty much everything.....that's a long story, and you probably wouldn't want to hear about that one! I knew that someday I would be making it over...and so here is what I did.
It's a mahogany four poster, and yes.....I know that some might object to painting it, I don't care for that color in my tropical Florida home. The first thing that I did was to cut off the posts on both ends of the footboard. I saved the very top part of posts, and although in the "after" photo you can't see the end of the bed I glued and clamped them on just to round off the footboard. Then I purchased a whole bunch of large rose appliques from HERE, and used Gorilla Glue to adhere them to the headboard, breaking up the straight line of the top. Again I glued and clamped, which did take quite a bit of time....and some money as the appliques were not inexpensive......but in the end it was worth the investment. I primed and painted the bed with several coats of this brand of Heirloom White Paint, and then took my electric sander and distressed the paint in places. Then came the fufu'ing up with linens and some of the pillows that I sew for the SHABBYFUFU Shoppe, and here you have the before and after:

Before, too traditional for this Romantic Decor!

Close up of appliques

After, fufu'ed up!

Good luck to all who entered and I hope that you all win a prize.....myself included~ lol!

Since my home was featured in both the Holiday issues of Romantic Country Magazine and Romantic Homes Magazine, I have had many emails concerning various items and techniques. One of the most asked questions was about my PINK PINE CONES and if I sell them. I don't, but I will be glad to tell you how easy they were to make! Just take some plain old pine cones and either spray them or dip them in some PINK paint. Of course living in Miami we have no pine cones here.....so I helped myself to a whole bag full on a trip to the mountains of No. Carolina a couple of years ago! You can wrap some string around the top if you want to dip them (I prefer this method after trying both:-), and then hang them to dry on your outdoor clothesline...which is what I did. I like the paint to be somewhat thick, so I use a couple of coats of paint. Ordinary PINK wall paint will do and HINT, go to Home Depot or Lowes and see what they have in the "mistake" area for a great price:-). After they dry I just take a paper plate and sprinkle a generous amount of glitter onto the plate. Any glitter will do, save your German Glass Glitter for something more worthy. Take another plate and load it up with Elmer's Glue and roll your pine cone around to coat the tips in the glue. Then roll around in the glitter until you have the ends coated as desired, shake off the excess and hang by the string to dry. I am sorry that I don't have an instructional photos, but it's a very messy job and I never seem to have clean enough hands to take photos when I work! Then just fashion a bow from some pretty ribbon and hot glue to your pine cones (an option). As you can see, I display them in a giant shell and they look so pretty with other holiday adornments~like vintage Christmas ornaments.
If you decide to try this project I would LOVE to see it, so please do share!

Pink Pine Cones


I am off to the Studio now, I hope that you have a wonderful Sunday and a fabulous week ahead....and I will come over and visit you soon!

~xoxo~
Janet

15 comments:

  1. Love the bed! I saw your article in R.H. and just loved it.! Your Christmas decor is glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh la la Janet, I KNOW you will win a prize! Your bed is simply stunning! I love what you did with it, and all of the bedding as well... Our magazines are always late getting here in Utah, I am going to Barnes and Noble today for some of them... I subscribe to Romantic Country but have not received my Holiday issue yet, rats! Your pink pine cones are sooo pretty! I just gathered a whole bag of pinecones on our Nature walk this morning, Jack is sooo sweet, he always helps me gather my lttle Nature findings! I would LOVE to send you as many as you want! Just send me an email and let me know if you want some! I am off to your shop... I want to buy that beautiful Ballerina music box for a ballerina friend of mine for Christmas... love to you and doggie kisses to Murphy... let me know if you want pinecones! xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely support painting the mahogany bed! It looks fantastic now! I laughed when I saw the words "heirloom white" ~ I use that on EVERYTHING...I LOVE it! Might have to make some pink pinecones for the little one : ) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Janet!!!!!!!!!!!! That bed is sooo fabulous!! WOW!!!! What a transformation! I LOVE the entire room so much! You have really outdone yourself with this transformation!

    THANK YOU so much for the beautiful tutorial for the pinecones! What a perfect idea, I will have to do this for sure!

    Love ya sweetie,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I adore the new fufu'd up bedroom! SO me as well, lol. And those pinecones are too adorable. HAVE to try and find me some and paint them as well. What color??? WELL pink ofcourse, what else

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again Janet, thanks for the email... just let me know anytime you need more pinecones, we have them everywhere here! Also, I just got the magazines! Yippee! Can't wait to read and see all about you! xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janet

    Love the new look bed, suits your tropical decor beautifully.

    Thanks for the Pink Pine Cone tutorial, I might try that one, love the way you've displayed yours in the shell.

    Great to hear from you, I'll email you back soon!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janet,

    Your bed has turned out just wonderful. I love it!!! And those pine cones are too sweet.

    Hope you have a wonderful day :)

    Siobhan xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet! Your bed looks so comfy and inviting. I believe in painting mahogany or any kind of wood, if that is what you want.
    I like the white because it's you.
    Beautiful job!

    I am going to try making the pink pinecones. My back yard is full of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am up early and trying to stay quite. What better way is there to spend the time than to find wonderful blogs like yours? I fell in love with your pink world immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos, have a nice day Radka.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow beautiful transformation! I love the piece over the bed,I;m sure you will miss my roses though lol! Just love it, it's so cozy... hugs, Kimberly xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ya! After Mount Dora everyone will be wondering if I'm still alive...well not everyone:)Your Wonderland items are so special,truly unique, I'm sure your customers will treasure them for years to come! Hugs, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s a pretty interesting tool. I will definitely be using it once I get the chance. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete