Tuesday, May 26, 2009

High Paris Views ~ Montmartre

I hope that everyone had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend! Mr Fufu dragged me away from the ol' homestead to go up to our beach home (yes, I know...poor me~lol!), and since yesterday was the ONLY day with any sun we decided to stay over and leave for home early this morning. It seems that I have not been home much at all for the last few weeks, and I really feel the need to stay put for awhile and do some work! I have caught a horrid cold from my sweet Mr, who apparently loves to share everything with me. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be more in the swing of it for working, but on this rainy afternoon I am laying low.

Let me invite you along to to Paris again today, in sharing some photos that I took in one of my very favorite areas of the city, Montmartre. Perched over Paris on it's tallest hill, with my favorite church in the city, Sacre Coeur at it's summit. At the Place de Tertre are a group of poor painters who work, just as Monet, Renoir and others had done in the late 19th century. To reach the summit you climb a series of steps (or take a fenicular) and you are afforded some of the best views of the city. Beautiful little gardens, old homes, and of course cafes and gift shops abound.

Incredible views of Paris. Excuse the empty "tables"....having Blogger issues and I am tired of fighting them!



Lovely Montmartre.

We were so lucky to have gone on a Sunday morning....didn't really think about it, but we came in during an incredible service. The amazing large organ was so inspiring.

Beautiful architecture, sort of Byzantine and the stone is kept very white.


Photos truly cannot do this chapel justice.



Deep in prayer at the altar while Mr. Fufu looks on.


Lots of steps. Not for the faint of heart or the weak of knee!

Cobblestone streets, if only they could talk.

Street artists. I did not buy anything here...tres cheres!

There are many street musicians all over the city, and most that we ran across were quite good.


An old bicycle serves as a restaurant sign.


We did not eat here
Or here, but found another quaint spot. So many choices!


A Parisian mime that would not let me take his photo without payment, so I stayed back and waited.


Bizarre much?


After spending the morning and filling our stomaches, we headed down the hill to visit one of my dear Parisian family members. French women tend to be quite youthful, and it really is hard to believe that this cousin is in her eighties!

A typical old Paris apartment. This is where she has lived and raised her family...nothing much changed.



That's it for today, as I am having some issues it seems with Blogger. I promise to post some of those requested Paris Flea Market pictures soon, and post some of those items on the Website.... but for now I am off to rest up and take care of my stuffy head!


xoxo~
Janet

8 comments:

  1. Love of the photos. Your cousin is very happy to see you and it shows, Janet. Hope you're better soon.
    xo~Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to go on tour with you!!! Last time I was there was three years ago!!! Seems like you had a great time!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least your cold waited until you returned home! Hope you feel better soon, I'm waiting to see all of th goodies from Paris! Cant wait, Feel better soon, hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon and thank you for sharing your Paris moments...
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, my heart just sank (with happiness!) when I read your comment about how much you enjoy my blog.... Especially because I am such a big fan of yours and admire your work tremendously!!! You have made my day... Thank you!
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Montmartre! Love that place! I had my picture drawn there :) Thanks for the picutres.

    All the best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love and miss Paris. Your friend in her 80s looks so beautiful and young. I hope she gave you some beauty tips you can share with us?

    ReplyDelete