Monday, December 15, 2008

Holiday Eating

This little ditty below is strictly fun.....sent to me by my Mom. In keeping with the tradition of overindulgence, I have been doing my part today by cooking and baking up some treats today that are not exactly on the normal eating routing in the Fufu household.......where normally we are a bit of "health freaks". I am an instinctual cook and don't often follow recipes, but this one is sooo divine! The recipe (below) is from an old friend, and I have prepared it to give out as extras for some special people during this Holiday Season. First........this:

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS
1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls. 2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas! 3. if something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat. 4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission. 5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello? 6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog. 7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again. 8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day? 9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards. 10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Reread tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner. Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Pam's Carmel Crunch Serves 4 Quarts

Ingredients:

12 Cups Popcorn (I use microwave, as it's fast)
1 Can Honey Roasted Peanuts
1 Can Toasted Chow Mein Noodles
1 1/2 Cups Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Light Corn Syrup
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda

To save at least a FEW calories, you can substitute with no oil popcorn, light Karo syrup and this nifty new Brown Sugar blend made with Splenda



Combine first 3 ingredients in a lightly greased (Pam Spray) LARGE roasting pan. I use a disposable pan, as it creates a sticky mess.



Combine brown sugar and next three ingredients in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until mixture boils. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (mixture will bubble).


Pour over popcorn mix and stir lightly with a long handled greased wooden spoon.

REVISION!
I was asked on the COMMENTS about whether the brown sugar should be mixed in to the saucepan and heated or added to the dry mix. It works best if heated with the rest of the wet ingredients, but honestly I have done it both ways and it works just fine. Recipe above has been revised:-)

Hey Mom.....will you please drop some of that for me?


Bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes.

Pour out on wax paper and break into clumps as it cools.

I like to pack this to give as gifts in the little decorative Chinese food take out containers with a bow on top. It will fill several....but I am out, so off to Party City I go. I should walk there.....it will burn up some calories after snacking on this stuff along the way:-)

xoxo,
Janet


16 comments:

  1. Naughty Fufu - Don't encourage me!!

    Loved your Mum's Tips Janet, as for Pam's Caramel crunch....yum yum, only thing is if I made it before Christmas day it would be gone, eaten by me! I have no self control and can not have any bad food in our pantry, sad when I can't offer a guest a little sweet treat, they understand by now I think.

    Thanks also Janet for the complement on your post below!! Your Rose collection is stunning, "your Shabbyfufu" Dress Forms are absolutely beautiful!! Let's look forward to many more in 2009!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such smart, wise words.

    Eggnog -- I think I bleed it this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have given you an award, please stop by and accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the tips your mom decided to bless us with!! Too funny!!
    Couldnt agree more...

    EAT ...DRINK... BE MERRY...

    HAVE A FABULOUS CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR...

    HUGS

    JO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet ~ you sound like me, pretty much a health nut! I read your hilarious paragraph from your Mom and each thing sounded like everything I try to AVOID doing during the holidays...maybe I should start doing some of those naughty things! LOL! Thanks for the laugh! ~Stacy~ P.S. Your recipes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post!

    We wish you and your family a very joyful and Merry Christmas!

    Blessings,
    Brook

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet...Loved your moms tips hon!!!! They are very true...ya gotta live a little sometimes:)
    All your christmas decorations look so beautiful sweets!
    And I will certainly try the recipe...looks divine!
    Have a very MERRY & BLESSED CHRISTMAS!!!!
    Hugs..
    Deb:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the laugh..boy does that recipe sound yummy. I'll be sure to remember to run from those bad carrot sticks... :)
    -Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this post Janet, lol!!! That is how I feel too!

    And thank you for this recipe, wow!! It looks delicious!

    I hope you and your family have a beautiful Cheistmas!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet,
    I loved your holiday diet tips, very funny! Your caramel crunch looks yummy. And of course, your home is beautiful! Wishing you and yours a blessed Christmas season.
    Love,
    Victoria Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fufu~moms tips are great & so on target with what I think goes at Christmas! LOL! My mouth is watering looking at this yummy concoction~thanks so much for the yummy recipe. blessings & love to you & the whole fufu family from the tutti clan!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, Janet ~
    I was so with you (and your Mom) on the eat all things now... I even said to my husband tonight "I could eat a big piece of pecan pie" and I wasn't just thinking pecan (pecan AND whipped cream). What the heck happens this time of year? Actually, I snapped out of it a little when I saw you have Smart Balance Popcorn!! I love Smart Balance... my husband makes fun of me, but it is the best. I am going to have to request popcorn here when I recover from this eat everything in sight mode. Luckily, the cupboard is bare right now.

    I came by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and lots of Peace, Love and Joy with all my heart xoxo~Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Question... you say on your recipe to combine the first four ingredients, which includes brown sugar into the roasting pan. Then you say to combine the next ingredients into a sauce pan, including the brownsugar.... Where do you put the brownsugar? Help, I really want to make this!! THX - Gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those holiday eating tips sound like a good plan to me!
    :)
    Merry Christmas!!
    ~Becca~

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so yummy Janet, I am going to have to try that , just made a chocolate turtle cake that turned out so yummy! Come by for a birthday giveaway~ xoxo Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your King Cavalier is adorable! That's all...I just had to tell you that... although I'm sure you already knew. ;o)

    ReplyDelete