Thursday, May 8, 2008

Coco Loco In Miami

I hope that you had a nice relaxing Mother's Day weekend ladies~all of us Mom's definitely deserve that!!

We celebrated our anniversary on Friday night by going out for a nice dinner to one of our favorite seafood restaurants with our older daughter and her long time boyfriend. They are so cute together~it's nice to spend time with them as friends. I hope that they don't mind my sharing this photo that I took before we headed out to the Captain's Tavern.


One of the things that I love most about life in Miami is the tropical flora and fauna that is in abundance year round. We really are in the tropics way down here, and unfortunately along with the beauty comes the dreaded hurricane season....that is almost here~eeeks!!! We have lots of coconut palms on our property....you could easily survive off the land here for at least a week. The trees are now loaded with mature coconuts, and my coco loco cuban guys stopped by the other day to help themselves with the Fufu family's blessings. They supplement their incomes selling these, and with over 5,000 removed last year from our yard.........they have their work cut out (literally) for them!! They cracked open a couple for me.....the milk is thin and sweet, and the flesh is juicy and tender....nothing at all like store bought. Wish that I could send some your way........

Timberrrr! You definitely don't want one of these falling and bopping you over the head.

They hauled away lots, but there are tons more to spare. They filled their truck until the back tires were almost flat.

Yummo.....sweet nature's candy. I peeled the tender stuff out with a dull knife and just ate it fresh. The milk tasted great in a seafood dish that I prepared on Saturday night, which I forgot to take a picture of. I made some pasta, sauteed some scallops and a bit of broccoli and then created a sauce with the coconut milk. Leftovers will be delish for today's lunch!

Have a great week......
Talk soon~ Janet~

12 comments:

  1. oh my you are sooo making me hungry... I love fresh coconut.. nothing like it... and your are so right... store bought does not come close

    Sounds like you had a wonderful Mothers day... as did I... my girls took me to dinner at my favorite sushi restaurant and then we went for an after dinner drink before heading home.. so much fun to just sit ... relax... have good conversation and enjoy their company

    Your daughter and her boyfriend are cuties...

    CIAO!!
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!! How neat! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I love fresh coconut!!!

    Brook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet,
    Your weekend sounds great!

    Love the picture of your daughter and her boyfriend, they're darling together.

    I sure wish I lived near you and could talk you out of a couple really fresh coconuts. Coconut is my favorite thing in the whole wide world - yum! Oh yeah, and Zeke loves it too ;)

    Enjoy - but stay safe from those mean old hurricanes.

    Happy Night!
    xo~Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Janet! And I though my back yard was "exotic" because of a dumb ol' orange tree! LOL :) Seeing those coconuts has me thinking...have you ever made Pina Colada's with your own fresh coconut milk? ....maybe invent a recipe for Coconut Margaritas??? Hope you had a lovely anniversary. Enjoy your week. ~ xoxo ~ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ms fufu~what a nice picture of your beautiful daughter & her handsome boyfriend! you have such a beautiful family my friend. Hope your mothers day was relaxing & sweet. Your recipe is making my mouth water & to be dining in Florida among the lush landscape(well you know how I feel about Florida~I SO LOVE IT)sounds heavenly! I'll email soon (garden season is upon us & I am literally spinning right now!LOL)xoxo tutts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet ~
    I love your yard !! Oh the joys of living in a tropical climate !! How fun to have coconuts in your yard ~
    xoxo,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! That is not something you see everyday!(OK, maybe you do...but not
    us!)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet, that is sooo neat! And so wonderful that you can share the bounty with people who appreciate it. :)

    Your home and grounds look like paradise to me! Hope this year's hurricane season is calm for you....

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmm...I love coconut. Fresh, toasted, on shrimp, in a cake, you name it and I'll eat it. LOL

    How great that you have them right on your property.
    My In-laws tried growing them, but they don't do very well where they are (central Fl.).

    Wishing you a calm and uneventful hurricane season.

    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fresh coconut. What a blessing! The milk is very healthy for you too. I can imagine fresh coconut macaroons! Yummy!!

    Your daughter and her boyfriend are adorable!

    Hugs! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way your daughter is looking at her boyfriend...ahh young love!

    Those coconuts looks so good and that is so nice of you to let those guys take them and sell them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet your daughter is so so lovely! you are right what a cute and perfect couple they make. Loved the story on the coconuts..WOW..how wonderful to use the milk in a special dish you made, I think your home looks like paradise to me
    Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day...well of course you completely deserved it!!

    ReplyDelete