Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Touch Of This & A Touch Of That



Tastes change over the years as we constantly evolve and grow in our likes and dislikes. For me, I have become darned tired of the bedroom furniture that we have had for the past 15 years.....but knew that with some creative energy it could be revamped and freshened up! I don't know what possessed me to ever buy this dark poster bed in the first place, other than a foggy moment after Hurricane Andrew wiped us out just about 15 years ago to the day. We sadly lost much of what was in our home, and it was a scary experience.....riding out the storm with our girls and our Golden Retriever holed up frightened in a closet all night while our roof was ripping off and water was pouring in. The after effects made it so difficult to live, and furniture was hard to come by....so this is what we ended up with, courtesy of our insurance policy at the time.
Time to lighten up the bedroom....as the rest of the house already is.....so I started with the bed and gave it a makeover. I was tired of the four poster look, so with a trusty Sawzall we cut off the ends and reconfigured them to make them shorter. I redid the headboard with some gorgeous thick, chunky rose appliques....which gives it height and a French appeal. All painted in an Antique Vanilla and distressed, I really love the way it came out and was not super expensive to do....alot less than buying new! I always use all white linens......it's a nice clean look, some vintage with lace and some new. For a coverlet I sewed together two antique French Lace single spreads.....these are hard to come by anymore and look so ethereal! A pale pink brocade is thrown across the end, and a pillow that I crafted sometime ago with an old cherub needlepoint softens the look as well. The KING of the family~our 6 year old King Charles Cavalier Spaniel really enjoys this spot, and YES...he sleeps up there with us every night!

I hope that you enjoy this makeover segment....more to come!
Warmest regards,
Janet
www.shabbyfufu.com



7 comments:

Vicki Palmer (Pink Pearl Girl) said...

Hi Janet,
I love what you did with the bed makeover. It is gorgeous and the cherub pillow is awesome. Thanks for sharing pics of your home. I wish my satinwood bedroom suite was painted like that. I look forward to seeing more projects.
Vicki

Roberta said...

Hi Janet, Love it all! And that chair is fabulous! Roberta
www.enchantedtreasures.com

Tara said...

Hi Janet,
It looks gorgeous!

Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Janet, Your room looks gorgeous.
Just love the chair too.
Alison

Arlene said...

Janet, absolutely beautiful, as all of your creations are!

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That is a great makeover. I redid a dark wood bed also. It's amazing the difference it makes. I love that chair too!

Kim said...

Janet
I just found your blog and I also went thru hurricane Andrew and lost just about everything. We had to replace all of our furniture and I bought the exact same bed that you did....I owned a consignment store for a few years so I eventually sold it. We moved to central Florida 2 years after Andrew I just wrote about Andrew on my blog...can you believe it has been 15 years? I will add you to my blogroll....
shopkim